Saturday, January 10, 2015


So the last time I blogged we had just went for ultrasound and had an appt scheduled for December 23 with urology.  Well we went to that appt and things then got scary. I hadn't planned on going to the appt but some thing told me I needed to so R and I went with G.  We go back to room and doc asks me and R to leave because R will be a distraction.  I was not happy.  I figured he just thought I was G's friend with a kid not her wife and child so that's why he kicked us out.  Well we were in waiting room for 30 mins and I start to get worried.  Thinking "wow he must have kicked us out because this is serious" well it was.  Finally the doc came and got me and told me the ultrasound showed both G's kidneys were blocked and this would most likely mean surgery but he wanted and MRI to be sure.  He said anything we do right now could cause preterm labor so he wanted to be sure of a course of treatment. G was 23 weeks pregnant that day so she can't deliver.

So I am freaking out and wishing I had taken R to my parents house.  The appt was at 8 am so I didn't want to have to take him there at 6am so that's why I hadn't.  I call my dad and tell him what's going on and that he might have to come get Rayden but I will keep him updated.  I am trying really hard not to cry at this time.  I go back in to the office and we are told G's insurance has denied the MRI but they are trying to fight it.  Great!  Omg now what?  We talk and decide if we have to pay for it we will find a way but doc says to go for bloodwork and come back and they will let us know what the plan is.  We do and still no progress when we get back.  Doc says go home and they will work on insurance.  They think it can wait a little bit because G is still able to function eventho she's in pain.

5:30 that night the insurance finally gives approval for MRI.  And G calls first thing next morning to get it scheduled.  She gets MRI scheduled for 11:15 and I call my Dad to come get R since I didn't have time to take him there and get back.  My parent's house is in opposite direction of hospital.

As we are waiting for MRI we are thinking since it's Christmas Eve we probably won't get results today but when MRI was over the doctor met G outside room.  He said they are saying they don't have someone to read MRI till 4 but that's not good enough so he is going to make them read it ASAP.  He took us to get bloodwork and said he would be back.  He came back when G was getting bloodwork and told me he wanted us to go to infusion for G to get IV antibiotics for the next 7 days but to go eat lunch first.  We stop at infusion to find out how long we need to waste at lunch to decide if we eat there or out.  It turns out not to be too long so we go to cafe.  Doctor shows up there and says he saw MRI results and right kidney is blocked but left isn't as bad as they thought so no surgery!  Yay we were so relieved.  He just wants her to come to hospital every day for the infusion instead of being admitted and then oral antibiotics after that.  It was the best news we could have gotten.

G went for infusions every day even Christmas day but it could have been much worse.  She started feeling better right away.  Hoping we don't have that scare again!  

1 comment:

  1. That sounds awful! I'm sorry this pregnancy hasn't gone as smooth as you hoped! Glad everyone is feeling better though! I had hydronephrosis (enlarged kidney) during my pregnancy and it was super painful-warm baths and turning side to side or even laying on my back and Tylenol helped. I hope everything goes well from here on out :)